Friday, April 21, 2017

Novice LP. Session 12

BW - 224

Squat - 315X3X5

Press - 120X3X5

Chin-Ups - BW (15 total reps)
 - Overhand - X3, 2, 1
 - Underhand - X3, 2, 2, 1
 - Neutral Grip - X2, 1

Pull-Downs - X4, 7 (drop-set)

Squats went really well.

For the Press, I really had to buckle down.  I have no idea why this is so challenging and yet so far off of 137.5 which is my best 3X5.

I was just going to do overhand on chins today (I've been mixing the grip up randomly), but it was clear I just wasn't going to get enough reps and sets, so I did more sets with different grips.  Fun.

This is the last day of the regular Novice LP.  Starting this weekend, I will move into the "Advanced" Novice program by adding in a session at 80% intensity every 2nd day.  I will continue to alternate Chins and Deads every other day, adding 5 lbs. every Deadlift day.  That keeps the DL in line with Squat all the way down the line.

Eventually, I expect to move back into 531, but I want to ratchet down the periodization as gradually as possible.  I don't see the point of jumping from daily periodization to monthly.  So I will ratchet down from 3X/week increases, to 2X with the Advanced Novice.

If that starts to get un-doable, depending on how it is feeling, I will either reset and then run up to triples and doubles, reset and switch to 80% every other day (1.5X week increases), or switch to TM with 3X5 on volume day (5X5 just ran me into the ground last time).  Ideally, I would do all of the above in that order, and then switch to 531.

No comments: