Tuesday, July 23, 2013

LRB 365: Strong-15 Short. Week 1. Squat

BW - 196

Squat -
BarX10 (paused)
95X5 (paused)
115X5
135X4
165X3
185X2
205X1
215X1
225X1

Pause Squats - 165X3, 3, 3, 3

Leg Press - 2ppsX24, 20, 18

Leg Curls - X20, 15, 12

Standing Calf Raises - 245X18, 16, 14

Solid session, as it should be at these weights.  Playing with explosiveness again on the squat.  Previously, I made the mistake of focusing on driving my hips through hard at the top, and this was causing low-back strains.  This time I took the opportunity of these light weights to think about making the bar come up off my shoulders at the top.  That did happen on every rep, including the pause squats, and no low-back trouble. 

I doubled-down on the sets of Pause Squats initially recommended in the manual.  However, what I'm taking to heart is this little nugget,
"The lower the intensity, the more volume you are going to need.  So that would mean more back off sets to be added on.  If you choose to play with that, don't go haywire.  Add in 1-2 extra back offs in addition to what the program calls for and go from there."
I'm actually programing lower for this cycle than I did for the Strong-15 cycle to begin the program, so I think it's a perfect opportunity to explore the extra back-offs.  My form was extremely tight on all these.  So much so, that my mid-back is really fatigued, and a bit sore today.  I'm enthused.

Leg press was all done narrow stance to hit the quads harder.

Curls and Raises were curly and raisin.


No comments: