Thursday, July 8, 2021

Block 15. Cycle 5. Session B.

BW - 218
sRPE @ 8

Press - 
137.5X1 @8
110X6, 6, 6, 6 @7

Deadlift - 395X1 @8
Sumo w/Straps - 337.5X5, 5, 5 @6

DB Curls - 37.5sX8, 11 @7.5/10
Rope Curls - X10, 14 (straight-weight) @8/10

110 for 4X6 is a Volume PR on Press.  Top single finally popped above the block baseline as well.  I set a 12 mo. PR at the end of the last block, and I'm within distance to maybe top that in the last couple of cycles of this block.  Still some good distance to go to get into Lifetime PR territory, but current BW is ~10-15 lbs. lighter than when I set some of those lifetime, low rep PRs.

Deadlift is stagnant-to-regressing a bit.  Not too worried about it.

337.5 is a Rep PR on strapped Sumo, and got if for 3 sub-max sets.  I tweaked my back in the middle of the first set, but was able to complete the set, and still do the others.  One of the reasons I rated sRPE a bit higher than target.

One quick note on RPE disparities apparent in something like the Rope Curls.  You might look at 10@ 8 followed-by 14@10 and say "well, you're clearly overestimating RPE on your sub-max sets."  Maybe, maybe not.  First, I'm not THAT worried about being off by 1 or 2 on RPE because over time I'm confident that it will wash out.  Second, there's a difference in approach on a low fatigue movement like rope curls.  The first set is more non-stop until I hit my RPE target.  Knowing that I want to take that last set to absolute failure, I take more min-breaks along the way, and so I'm "fresher" for the final reps.

No comments: