Saturday, December 15, 2012

LRB 365: Strong-15. Week 1. Squat/Dead

BW - 199

Pause Squats -
BarX10
95X5

Squats -
125X5
145X4
165X3
185X2
195X1
205X1
215X1

Pause Squats -
165X5, 5

Deadlift -
135X5
165X4
195X3
225X2
265X1
275X1
285X1
225X3, 3, 3

Leg Curls - 4 sets of 20

80%?  Don't know.  Head cold is kicking my ass up and down the street, but didn't want to wait on starting the LRB 365 program, and anyway the first few weeks of the Strong-15 are mostly light.

I still want to use my light pause squats as a warm-up because they give such a great stretch, and help grease the groove as far as depth, however I was stepping out to wide and after the 2nd set, my hips were screaming at me.  Great way to start the session.

Then I further beat myself up by focusing to much on popping the weight up at the top, and I lost lower back tightness at full extension.  My low back was slightly strained by the 165 set.  Just getting better and better.

The set ended up fine, after I stopped popping my hips forward as much, and the pause squat sets were both solid.

Deadlift felt a bit heavy today, and I'm wondering if I've had a bit of drop-off here meaning that I'd done a long slow peak leading up the last week or two, and now it's falling back to earth a little.  Could also be illness combined with the rough squats.  One more reason I'm glad to be starting a new program so that everything is light.  225 sets all felt strong.

Leg curls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog after reading 365. Obviously you like the program, but I would love to hear your thoughts about it and what made you jump ship to it.

Thanks!
Scott

Nealstar said...

Scott-

I'm such an avid reader of Paul's blog is the main reason. I'd run one of his programs previously and had some success with it. I'd contemplated doing the SPPC challenge for 2012, but didn't want to "jump ship" at that time. I decided that the timing was good for it basically.

I don't have a lot of thoughts on it at this point because I just started. I'll probably do another "In Review" post at the end of the first Strong-15 cycle.