Saturday, December 15, 2012

5/3/1 BBB: In Review

I'm going to keep this short like my time with this program.

First off, all these headings should have BBB in quotes, or I should have called it 5/3/1 +5X10 or something, because with the exception of Cycle 2 of Squats, I didn't use the main movement for the 5X10 sets, but rather a variant except in the case of Cycle 2 of Deadlifts where I did hypers for 5 sets of 10-20.  Not really the program right?  So this is very much In Review of what I did as opposed to A Review of Boring But Big.

All I really have to say is that my pressing moved the needle a little bit more than my Squat, and that Squat in particular started to leave me feeling pretty beat up.  Deadlift continued it's usual steady increase for the most part.  I haven't done a Wendler style deload or layoff since I started 5/3/1 Full Body back in July.  I had some lower rep sessions while on vacation, but they were still real work sessions.  I imagine this has a lot to do with the beat up feeling.

All of this, combined with one other element made me decide to cut this a little short.  I was only going to do one more cycle of this program anyway, so it's not a complete bail out.  The other element is that Paul Carter finally release his LRB 365 manual this week, and I'd been planning on running that for the entirety of 2013.  With the way my training was starting to go, I looked at the calendar and saw no reason to wait.  I've jumped straight into that program with no layoff either, because I've set very conservative goals, and the first 3 weeks are very light.  See you over there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea why you keep a blog. There's a certain degree of humility that goes hand in hand with lifting. Truthfully, your numbers are paltry. You have no reason to post them on a blog.

I've noticed that you absorb whatever it is you're reading--Jamie, Paul--then parrot everyhing they do. It's entirely unoriginal. Why not just keep your numbers to yourself? Chronicle for you and you only because honestly, when I see what you write, it's like Paul Carter Lite. And your numbers haven't moved in forever. I'm embarrassed for you.

I'm not an Internet troll, I'm not hiding in anonymity to insult you. But dude, hosting a blog with those numbers?? C'mon. You have no idea how ridiculous you sound.

Nealstar said...

I don't know. Pretty troll-ish. But on the off-chance you're not I guess I can answer this.

This is my log. It's more convenient for me to keep an on-line log than to keep it on pen-and-paper, or a personal file because it's easier to read than my handwriting, harder to lose, and easy to access from anywhere.

The purpose of having a log, obviously, is so that I can keep track of what I've done and to be able to go back and remind myself of something I've forgotten or find patterns I didn't notice while they were happening.

I keep it public on the outside-of-outside chance that somebody could possibly find something of use. When I started lifting in 2011, I had a hard time finding any on-line logs of anyone else doing the same program I was using, so I left mine public in case anyone else was looking for the same thing.

As far as my writing style? I don't know, it's completely possible that when I write about my lifting it comes off a lot like the stuff I read by other guys writing about their lifting. Wouldn't surprise me; doesn't bother me.

Regarding my numbers, I don't find them impressive so I guess we agree on something! However, I do make incremental progress, and at my age I find any progress to be good progress.

So to wrap up, this is my lifting log, and I keep it for myself and not because I presume to offer advice or insight on the subject. If somebody else finds something useful, fine. If someone like you finds nothing about it useful whatsoever, also fine. And I also expect you would...stop reading it?

Anonymous said...

I wish I could stop reading it. But I can't. It's like a car crash that one can't turn away from.

How can anyone gain anything useful? What do you even
mean? Your argument doesn't hold water. You WANT this public. I keep a log too. I don't write little comments at the end of my workouts. Because I'm not a parrot and I don't need an audience. If you need to type, why not just make a nice little Word or Excel document?

You're only slightly older than me so don't take that old man "woe is me" bullshit tone.

You now categorize your lifts with the 80%,designations, just like Paul. It's so ridiculous. Just stop man.