Tuesday, November 6, 2012

5/3/1 BBB: Cycle 1. Week 1. Bench

BW - 200

Bench-
BarX15
95, 115, 135X5
150X7

Inclines -
95X10, 10, 10
105X10, 10

Chins - BWX10, 6

Pull-Downs - 5 sets of 10-15

Disrupted session.  I only took bench to a rep where the bar speed slowed dramatically.  I could have gotten 1 or 2 more, and possibly ground out a 3rd.  I decided to just take the two extra reps and focus on the BBB sets.

There were a bunch of guys in the main bench area talking NBA when I went to do Inclines and I let myself get sucked into the conversation.  The incline sets were all "fine," but they all had 3-4 minute rest between sets because of talking.  I've never really talked to anyone in the gym before, and it was kind of nice to socialize, but I feel like I diminished my workout.

Also, I used the really steep incline bench, but I think I'm gonna try the curved one next time.  The steep angle just makes it feel a lot more like an overloaded OHP rather than a deficit bench press somehow.

Since this phase is so much about volume, and since I can't do 5 strict sets of 10 on chins, I've decided to just do 50% sets of chins and follow that up with 5X10 pull-downs for lat volume.  A little bit of a call-back to the Defranco programs that started all this for me.

No comments: