Thursday, April 12, 2018

Old Man Texas Method. Week 6. Middle Day

BW - 228

Squat - 305X5, 5, 5

Press - 135X5, 5, 5

Chin-Ups - BW; 38 Reps; 8 Sets

Squats were fairly easy both today and on Volume Day.  6 weeks in (4 weeks since I tweaked it based on the Barbell Logic podcast, and some SS forum posts), I'm starting to suspect that I need to increase the weight at least on the light day.  There is a quote on the podcast about, "light day should feel as hard if not harder than volume day" and "if you do two sets on light day and it's easy, you better add a set, and you might need to go up in weight."  I'm already at 3 sets.  I've been going at 87.5% of VD weight.  That's because the suggestion was 85-90% and I decided to just go in the middle so I had room to adjust up or down in that range.  Believe I will adjust up now, but just 1% and go from there.  I.D. weights are in PR territory from here on out.  My warm-ups on I.D have felt pretty crappy until the last single or so, therefore I want to make sure I'm not dipping to far into my recovery to fast.  Final set of this day shown.

Pressing movements on light day have been at a much higher relative intensity, and continue to feel like it.  2nd set was a bit of a struggle as bar path got off at lockout on the final rep.  Pulled it back together for a decently hard 3rd set (shown).

Big jump in chins today.  Went from 37 reps in 10 sets last week, to 38 reps in 8 sets this week.  That's my first time averaging 5 reps per set since I started this volume experiment!  I did get into a lengthy chat with the gym owner before the last two sets and so was well recovered, but I got 5 reps on both sets, which is pretty big for me.  Still telling myself I will take this experiment to 50 total reps before making any changes.

No comments: