Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Higher Reps. Week 7. Squat

BW - 206

Squat -
95X5 (paused)
135X5 (paused)
135X5
185X4
225X3
275X2

Pause Squats - 245X5, 5

High Bars - 185X10, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Squat -
225X1
245X1
265X1
275X1

Single-leg extensions -
Pyramid-upX12, 12, 12, 12, 12
Back-offX20

Had business elsewhere in town last night, so I went to an "away" gym that I've use before in the area I was heading to.  So crowded.  So many people doing weird stuff.

Anyway, I thought the best way to stay sane amidst the chaos would be to just squat as much as possible.  I may or may not have been slightly inconveniencing several people who seemed used to having that space free for other stuff.  At one point, a guy doing really unstable lunges was reaching out and using the end of my barbell to keep himself steady.  I waited until his set was over, and politely pointed out that I was using it.  So weird.

Anyway, squats all went well.  245X5 is a PR on pause squats; my 5th in a row.  With High Bars, I was just looking for volume. 

Normally, I would have done single-leg work on the leg press at this point, but both the "regular" leg press and the horizontal leg press machine at this gym were occupied.  Paul Carter has this "fatigue singles" concept that he uses sometimes where you work back up with singles after all your main work-sets to test speed.  What I did here is very much NOT by his book about how it's supposed to go.  It was kind of fun nonetheless.  I worked over the winter to make 275 my heaviest "I can and will squat this any day" weight, and it was nice to test that in a fatigued state and find it very much there for me.

All the leg presses still had a queue, so I just did single-leg extensions instead.  I actually kind of liked this, and may do these WITH single-leg presses next week and see what that's like.

No comments: