Thursday, March 15, 2018

Old-Man Texas Method. Week 2. Press/Deadlift Day

BW - 231

Squat - 290X5, 5

Press -
145X5
115X8

Deadlift -
380X3
340X3

Press and Deadlift were both pretty hard on this day.  On both the tops sets and back-off sets.  Both top sets definitely felt like RPE 9-10, as I think you can see in the videos below.  We'll see what happens with these lifts over the next couple of weeks.  I may need to find a way to introduce a bit more direct volume.


Also, I listened to a podcast with Matt Reynolds, Starting Strength coach, about the "Old Man" TM, which is what I'm doing a version of.  They talked about the "light" day squats needing to feel as hard or maybe harder than the volume day squats.  The idea being that you shouldn't be recovered enough from Monday for these to be easy, but they're light enough that you will be mostly recovered for Friday's Intensity set.  These were pretty easy, and I likely will need to add weight or sets.  However, since the switchover from what I had been doing to TM is already an overall increase in volume, I don't want to rush to make more changes, before I see what happens with the initial programming.

No comments: