Friday, March 9, 2012

UB: Conditioning Week 2. Press, Hammer & Tire

Defranco Shoulder Mobility

Press -
BarX10
95X2
115X1
125X2X3

Inverted Row, 45 degrees - BWX10, 7

Hammer Curls - 20sXAMRAPX4

Push-ups - BWX20

Hammer Swings - 30 seconds swinging, 10 resting (around 20 swings per round); 10 minutes

At home - Reverse Crunches (2 sets of 5) and Partial Planche Push-Ups (2 sets of 5)

80%er.  Wasn't sure how the 125 would move, as 2 reps is the most I've ever gotten with that weight.  First set of 2 was almost easy, 2nd set was harder, and the 3rd set was a bit of a grind on the last rep.  Probably all as it should be, and suggests my strength is holding steady 3 weeks following the strength phase.

This 30/10 second split of hammer swings is Paul Carter's recommendation, and not the way I've done these in the past where I would do at least twice that many swings and take a longer rest. This is kind of a pain in the ass because I have to keep a clock running that I can see, and keep doing the math in my head, which inevitably gets off as I start to get really worked. His idea is to try and get more swings in the 30 sec. each session, but this is seriously a lot of shit to keep track of, so I may just increase the time every week like I do with sprints.

The gym has this weird contraption that's like a plate-loaded, standing incline machine.  I don't know what it's called, and I've never seen one before.  I think it's meant for football players so that they can press while standing on their feet, but at the angle they would hit someone when they come off the line.  Anyway, it's got one suspended bar straight across that's at about the right height to do 45 degree (at the top of the movement) inverted rows.  I'm using this instead of a power rack or a smith machine, because it's never in use by anyone (seriously, I've never seen anyone use this thing). I want the more relaxed angle, because I'm looking for reps here more than higher-intensity, AND because I want to target my mid-back and rhomboids in such a way that the traps can't get as involved.  This is all about trying to solve the mid-back strain I got from deadlifting on the last cycle.  Next time I'll probably add another set.  Also, I need to load the bar because it tended to swing during the movement making it difficult to concentrate on pulling correctly.

Did some AMRAP sets of hammer curls to help balance my elbow from the heavy pressing.  I'm also looking to bring up the gunz a bit on this conditioning cycle.

One set of push-ups in the gym for bench accessory.

At home I'm doing reverse crunches to try and work on my posterior pelvic tilt, and I'm doing planche position push-ups to try to get some more push-up volume in with less stress on my shoulders.  They're less internally rotated with this variation.  This is all followed by foam rolling.

No comments: