Monday, March 5, 2012

UB: Conditioning Week 1. Squat, Deads and Sprints

Defranco Mobility

Squats -
BarX10
135X5
185X5
225X2
255X2X3

Deadlift -
135X5
185X5
225X5

Incline Sprints - 30 yardsX8, 10 minutes

Couldn't get to my gym during their Sunday hours today, so I went back up to my old gym (formerly B@llys, now L@ Fitness) and weasled a free session.

Squats felt heavy.  I think.  I don't know.  My hips feel sore around my pelvic bone all the time lately, plus I might have the yips a little bit from dumping 265 over my head last week.  In fact my first rep of 255 almost went that way as I got to far forward on my feet coming out of the hole.  So I've got a mental war to fight with Squats to get them back on track.  I've mentioned this before, but I'm gonna see how much they guy that runs my gym wants to charge to form-doctor my lifts; squat in particular.  Anyway, after the first set the next two were hard but fine.  Similar to the bench doubles on Friday, plus the mental issue I have with these.

The main reason I left this gym was because pulling was such a chore.  There's no area for it, so you have to take a bar from somewhere else.  Since no one was in a hurry to squat (they rarely are at this place), I took the bar out of the rack and set up next to it.  Also, their plates aren't round, so you often have to reset between reps as the bar shifts all over the place.  Happened really bad on my 185 set.  Anyway, all these felt fast and easy, and I felt like a little bit of a bad-ass doing these in this gym.  I resisted the temptation to keep adding weight/sets to freak out the squares, though.  Zero point in trying to show that you're stronger than anybody that works out in a place like that.

Later that afternoon, I went to the stretch of side-walk by my house I use for incline sprints (there's another area by my gym I use sometimes).  I shot for 70% effort and a steady walk back.  8 sprints in 10 minutes is at least 2-3 short of my better showings in this distance, and that's probably where I want to be to start.  I think a good target for the last week would be 20 sprints in 15 minutes, or about 4 sprints every 3 minutes.  That would mean adding 1 minute, and 2-3 sprints per week.  I'll aim for that pace, and adjust as necessary.

No comments: