Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Block 14. Cycle 2. Session A.

 BW - 220

Chin-Ups - BWX2, 2, 2, 3 @~8

BB Curls - 
75X11 @9
72.5X11, 11 @8/10

Deadlift - 
365X4 @7.5
325X7,5 @7/back-tweak

Upright Rows - 70X8, 8 @~7

Curls were a struggle today, but not as much as...

Deadlift.  On the first warm-up with 135, my adductors lit up like crazy.  I'd had some mild adductor DOMS over the weekend following Friday's squat session, but that was mostly gone by the AM of this training day.  And yet they lit up so hot that I was struggling to walk around the gym trying to get them to dissipate.  

I did some empty bar stuff and then came back and did 225X7 just fine.  The lifting wasn't bad, but getting down into position was SUPER uncomfortable as the adductors stretched.  So much so, that I knew my starting position was off, and I was having trouble getting good tension on the bar before the pull.  Nevertheless, the top set and first back-off set came in more-or-less on target, but then I tweaked my back on the second back-off set.

As I write this the next day, I'm mostly fine again; as expected.  Some lingering adductor and low-back tightness, but it was physically and psychologically stressful during this training session.

I'm really at a loss as to how to handle the adductor DOMS issue at the beginning of each training block.  The next step is probably to reduce pivot blocks from two weeks down to one (more of a deload week), and keep squats high volume and high specificity in that time.

No comments: