Thursday, November 29, 2018

Block 1 (Accumulation). Cycle 2. Day 2 (Bench focus).

BW - 217.9

Bench - 165X8, 8, 8 @6/7

High-Bar Box Squat - 185X6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 @6/6.5

Pull-Ups w/ Straps - BWX3, 3, 3, 3 @~10

Back was feeling better today*, and so I was optimistic about the training session.

Bench felt fine, but still got to @7 after only 3 sets again this week.  Interesting.

HBS to a low box were super solid.  Still trying to keep rest times to ~2 minutes, but I ran into one of the strongest guys in the gym who I don't see that often anymore, and we inevitably got to talking training between sets.  With the longer rests, the RPE just wasn't going up very much on these, so I cut it off after 6 sets.  Will still probably expect a higher intensity next week.

*Tried doing mat pulls, but felt my low-back twinge just a bit after 2 reps with 225, so I shut that down.  We'll try again with pulls from the floor on Friday.

I'd done chin-ups instead of DL on Monday, so today I decided to do pull-ups.  I already had my straps out for mat pulls, and I was stuck using my least favorite pull-up station, so I decided to try them with straps for the first time.  Wow.  I really didn't expect them to make as much of a difference as they did.  These were only sets of 3, but for pronated pull-ups which I haven't done in some time, these felt much stronger than I would have expected.  These were very strict with a swinging, straight-arm hang at the bottom and chest to the bar at the top.  It never occurred to me that grip strength might be limiting my chin strength this much.



No comments: