Wednesday, August 28, 2013

LRB 365: Big-15. Phase 1. Week 1. Press

BW - 200

PBN (seated) -
BarX10, 10
55X4
65X3
85X2
95X1

85X17, 8

DB Rows -
60sX12
70sX12, 9, 8, 8

DB Bench - 55sX18, 11, 8, 7

Deadlift -
135X5
185X4
225X3
245X2
275X1

Um...I think this is the first time I've ever done seated PBNs.  Is that weird?

The hardest part of these is unracking them by myself.  My shoulders felt...vulnerable in that position, so I started leaning back a little and that seemed to help.  85X17 is an all-around PR in BTN pressing.  Are you supposed to be stronger seated vs. standing? 

DB Rowing felt more stable than it ever has in the past.  No low back discomfort like I've had in the past with them, however my abs started cramping up at the top of the rep on the last couple of sets.  I redoubled my focus on keeping my shoulders steady, and that seemed to help.  My goal for the cycle is 75sX12+.  Should get there, and go past it, although this pressing day only happens 3 times in the 6 week cycle.

18 reps with the 55s is an all-around PR on DB Benching.  My goal for the cycle is 60sX15+.  Again, should get there even with only 3 sessions.

I am NOT supposed to be Deadlifting on the Big-15, however I don't feel confident that my technique is settled, much less ingrained enough to justify taking 3+ months off from pulling.  So I will do maintenance pulls during these sessions.  275 is only 87% of my EVERYDAY Max, and, once again, this programmed day only occurs every other week.

Today with the pull, I worked on something Paul Carter's been talking about which is finding the spot where your hips don't get so low that your shoulders and knees get away from the bar path.  This seems to involve a more vertical shin position for me, but with the shins still already touching the bar at the start.  Another big difference is that this has my chest starting off down a bit more, and so I have to cue chest up even harder after the pull starts to keep a neutral spine.  The 275 was fast, but it should be, and therefore it's hard to judge the form tweaks. 

No comments: