Monday, May 7, 2012

UB: Reps Week 4. Bench

Defranco Shoulder Mobility

Bench -
BarX20
65X10
105X6
135X3
170X1
135X15, 5, 3, 3, 3, 2 (31 total reps)

Lat Pull-Downs - 5 sets of 8-10

Hammer & Tire - 4 rounds of 20 swings "per arm" with 30-60 second rests; 10 minutes

Accomplished what I wanted on bench here.  135X15 is a Rep PR.  20 combined reps for my first two sets is a best for the cycle, and getting 30+ in only 6 sets is also a best for the cycle.  Jefit says 135X15 is an increase to my projected 1RM, but the formula I use says it only matches my 1RM.  Still, pretty OK with that.

Now I have to consider what I want to do next week.  Last week, I backed off the first work-set to try and get more reps on the following sets, and get my 30+ in fewer total sets.  That worked somewhat, but then I came back this week and did great, and some of the credit should go to what I did last week.  I have two bench sessions left.  I'm considering backing off the first set again next week and seeing if I can get 30+ in even fewer sets, and then trying to blast out the last week and try to get 20 reps on my work-set (with a spotter, lol).  It may be a game time decision based on how the first work-set is feeling next week.

More lat pull-downs done.  As before, I focus on squeezing the bar down with my lats, and relaxing the bar back up slowly.  For the final two weeks, I believe I will switch to triceps work here.  Likely OH extensions to start priming my arms for Clean & Press on the next cycle.

I was still feeling good following the lat work, so I skipped abs and went and swung the hammer for a while instead.  Possibly I had a premonition that I wouldn't get to Squats and Prowler pushes over the weekend, and needed to get some conditioning work in stat.

No comments: