Friday, December 16, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 2. Week 2. Squats

Warmed-up with a lot of stretching and flexing of the left hip.  Trying to get the strained area ready to go.

Squats -
BarX10
95X5
135X3
155X3
170X3
195X3
220X3

BB Front Split-Squats - 75X8X3

BB Front Squats - 115X8X2

Well, I got through the bare minimum on back squats without any major discomfort in the left hip.  Pretty sure it's the TFL and not the Sartorius.  I played with foot placement a little bit, but it was inconclusive.  However, paying special attention to keeping my knees out seemed to help.  That makes sense as the strain is most apparent when raising the knee straight up, and much less so when raising it at an angle.  I decided not to tempt fate and just got the required reps.

I thought about doing BBB for assistance work just to keep working the hip in that groove.  I decided to go with the usual stuff instead because I've been seeing pretty good quadriceps development with this assistance work just as planned.  Makes sense to stick with that for awhile longer.

The split-squats were fine.  I expected trouble since this is a narrow stance with toes forward, and the knee tracks straight forward over the toes.  No real problems here though.  I even upped the weight to a new PR level.

Also upped the weight to PR on the Front Squats.  However, I had a lot more trouble getting my hip comfortable in this movement.  After the 2nd set, there was a sensation of warmth spreading in that area, so I decided to stop the session.

No ab work today because that area of the gym was packed.  I'm not sure how much I could have done with this hip strain.  Would have probably had to settle for crunches.  Sandbagging hard on the ab work.  Gotta find a way to get this in before it comes back to bite me in the ass.  Maybe start doing it at home?

No comments: