Monday, December 19, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 2. Week 3. Pressing

Streching from Defranco's Simple-6, no foam rolling

Press -
BarX10
65X5
75X5
95X5
100X3
115X6
super-set with
Chin-ups - BW sets of 5-6

EZ Bar Overhead Extensions - 65X10, 8, 8, 8, 6
super-set with
Chin-ups - BW sets of 3-6 (52 total chins on the day)

BB Curls - 65X8, 70X8, 75X8X2

I bought a short foam roller for myself that I'm keeping at home, so I may not always do it at the gym as I'm actually doing it more often now than I was.

For whatever reason, Press seems to be the lift I am most likely to go for it with despite my intentions coming into the gym.  I was really only going to get 4, 5 would have been a Rep PR, but I knew 6 would project a new 1RM and I had to go for it once I started the last set.  The last rep or two were a strain.  I maybe could have gotten 1 more.

Chins.  I don't know.  I really think my increased body weight is part of the up and down with these.  Also, if I REALLY wanted to increase the chinning, I would probably want to stop super-setting it.  That seems to be a promising approach with the dips since I stopped super-setting those with chins.  It kind of makes sense.  Super-sets are more of a body-builder type thing for keeping heart-rate up to encourage fat-loss during an anerobic work-out while also fitting more volume into less time.  It's not necessarily about building strength.  Looking back at what got my chins up in the first place, it was on BLAB.  That had a chin day.  Started with a max set, and then did a % set.  That was followed by pull-down sets.  Then shoulder work, and finally biceps work.  Also, I was doing random sets of chins in my spare time whenever there was an appropriate structure handy on which to chin.  That's all very different from throwing them into super-sets.  Something I might do next cycle is start Press days with weighted chins.  Afterwards I can move onto the regular 5/3/1 programming. 

Overhead extensions felt strong.  Got more sets and reps than I did last time.  I think I raised the projected PR as well.

Decided to try throwing curls in on this day for awhile.  Maybe it will help the chins as I pondered above.  Maybe I'll alternate with pull-downs.  Dunno yet.

No comments: