Friday, December 23, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 2. Week 3. Pressing and Deadlifting

Defranco's Simple-6 and Agile-8

Press -
BarX10
65X5
80X3
95X3
105X7

RDL - 65X10

Deadlift -
135X5
185X5
215X5
240X3
270X3

Dips (Gym BW 203) - 10X7, 10, 15X5

One-armed Rows - 65X15, 15, 10

Goblet Squat - 75X8, 60X10, 10

BB Curl - 45X8, 65X6, 75X5
super-set with
Hanging Leg Raises - 3 sets of 5

With my schedule so hectic I've decided to switch to a 2-Day split.  This was supposed to be Week 3, or the 531 week of the cycle.  I'd already done that day for Press, so I used what would have been my Deload weight, or Week 1 weight for the next cycle.  I worked up in 3's as I would for the Deload week, but then decided to do 7 reps on the top set and match my previous best for that weight.  Demonstrating that my strength hasn't dropped off.

For the pulls, 2 reps on the top set would have been a 2 rep PR, so I got that plus one more.

For assistance work on the two day split, 1/2 the work each day will be heavier and 1/2 lighter.  I will then flip that the next time around.

So Dips were a heavy day, and I'm starting to load the exercise.  Had that familiar pain in my sternum, but that seems to be normal whenever there is an intensity increase (adding weight in this case).  Bodyweight was 203, so a gym best of 218 for 5.

One arm DB rows happened.  Tried to focus on keeping my chest-up, my low back motionless, and lifting my elbow with my mid-back rather than lifting the weight with my arm if that makes sense.  Really felt some of these in my abs which was interesting.  Probably because of bracing my low back combined with the slight torso twist at the top of the movement.

Goblet Squats helped me identify the cause of my TFL strain, I think.  Without thinking about it (see what happens when you don't think?) I set up in my normal squat stance, and my TFL was screaming in the bottom of the movement.  When I brought my feet in, I was able to squat without pain.  So gotta bring the feet in going forward on all Squats.

Curls felt much heavier this week than last.  Could be a different bar.

No problem from the TFL on the leg raises.  Big surprise there, I fully expected it to holler at me.  Nice to know I can start getting some direct ab work in again.

No comments: