Friday, December 9, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 2. Week 2. Deadlift

Defranco's Agile-8 + upper back stretching

RDL - BarX10

Deadlift -
135X5
185X5
200X3
230X3
255X6
185X10X5

Was worried about the strain in my left hip (I think it's the tensor fascia latae), so I foam rolled like a mother, and took great care with all my mobility/flexibility work beforehand.  Turns out it may not have been necessary, as I felt nothing in that area during my sets.  255X6 is a Rep PR and projects as a minor increase in my 1RM.  I wasn't planning on going that far, as X4 would have been a Rep PR on it's own, but everything felt great so I went for 6.  I possibly could have gotten even more if I wanted to grind, but I'm still focused on Squats and not Deads. 

Some of the success in this session may be due to a slight form tweak I made after reading a recent Rippetoe piece.  I recently screwed up my squat listening to the guy, but I thought I'd give him another shot.  The main change was aliging the bar over mid-foot as I had been doing, but then unlocking the knees and bringing the shins down until they touch the bar.  I think the bar path was much stronger for me this way, and I will continue to use this adjustment.

I also upped the wait in the Boring But Big sets.  I think 185 is approaching my top weight for 5X10.  I almost quit before the last set, but since I wasn't doing anything but Deads today, I convinced myself to man-up and push through.

No Hanging Leg Raises today because the hip strain would definitely have flared up.  It's really uncomfortable any time I raise my left knee.

No comments: