Wednesday, October 10, 2018

HLM. Week 11. Day 2.

BW - 220

Pause Squats -
270X5, 5 @ ~8
277.5X5 @ 8

Bench -
220X5 @ 8.5
197.5X5, 5, 5 @ ~7.5

3" Block Pulls -
285X5 @ 5
325X5, 5, 5 @ 8

First session in over a week and a half that felt "normal."  No low back trouble, and no quad trouble.

277.5X5 is technically a PR on Pause Squats, but I haven't done low bar pause squats in a long time.  This puts them right around 80% of my full squat which is fairly normal based on my history with this movement.  Switched from High Bar to Low Bar for these in the hopes that raising relative intensity of my squat supplementals will help with this weird quad DOMS and/or strain I've been having.  My theory is that lower relative intensity is allowing some de-training to take place between full squat days.  Going to stick with SSB for my "medium" day this week.  Hopefully, I can keep the relative intensity at or above this level, plus a touch more volume.  Otherwise, I'm not sure I know what squat variant would fall in between full and paused low bar squats.  Possibly regular High Bars or beltless Low Bar.  If none of those work, I may try tempo squats.  I've never used those before, though.  Last set shown.

Bench is 10 lbs. off a 5 Rep PR.  @8 and after a weird couple of weeks, I'm okay with that.  I couldn't do full power bench last week because of my back, and the week before I did 245X1@10 and 212.5X3@8, so 220X5@8.5 seems like a bit of a bounce back.  Still toying around with how to do back-off sets of 5 after a top set of 5.  Basically dropping 10% here, but the RPE feedback seems off.  Top set and last back-off shown.

Block pulls felt good.  This is only the 2nd time at this height, and the 1st was beltless.  Last set here (shown) was probably 8.5. 





No comments: