Thursday, September 20, 2018

HLM. Week 8. Day 2.

BW - 226

High Bar Pause Squat - 230X5, 5, 5

Bench -
230X5
185X5, 5, 5

Deadlift - Elevated 5" (4" block + 1" mat) -
275X5 @ 6
290X5 @ 6.5
305X5 @ 7
315X5 @ 7
345X5, 5 @ 8

Paused HBS were all very easy being at the beginning of a wave.  @6-7, but I forgot to take notes.  Last set shown.

Top set of Bench felt @ 8, looks @7.

Back-offs were very easy.  Again, the beginning of a wave, but probably still too easy.  I need to adjust either by % or by going off of top set RPE.  Felt @ 6, looks @ 6.

Benching across from me on this day was powerlifting legend, Beau Moore.  Just casually benching 455 with no lift off or spotter.  Said hello, and shook his meaty, meaty hand.  Friendly guy.

So I had a few back spasms this week.  I used to get them more frequently, and I've often associated them with RDLs.  RDLs seem to help my Deadlift, but they also seem to aggravate my spine.  I thought I was toeing the water with only 2 sets a week, but here we are again.  OK.  To be fair, when I say that RDLs have always helped my DL, I haven't tried that many DL variations.  Basically just RDL and deficit pulls off of a plate. 

So I decided to try block pulls from about the same height as my RDL depth.  I'm still using straps so I can focus on technique and not on grip, but I did work up to 275 double-overhand before I added the straps.  I had no idea what the weight would be so I decided to work up to a set of 5 with 275, and titrate up, rating RPE as I went, and adding 5% at a time.  I ended up making a double-sized jump to 345 from 315, but that ended up being about the right weight.  Now I was surprised that I was able to do 345X5 @ 8 for multiple sets here (I could have done more than 2 sets, but wanted to play it safe because of all the volume leading up to this weight).  In fact, this is the same weight I'm programmed to do for two sets of triples on Friday from the floor.  That either means that my DL strength is lapping my programming, or this block height is NOT disadvantageous for me.  Next week I will try lowering it to just the 4" block and see if that takes some weight off the bar.  Still want this to be a "medium" day.  The last set felt @ 8, looks @ 7.5.

No comments: