Thursday, June 2, 2016

Hybrid Training. Week 0. Heavy Upper and Intervals

BW - 228.8

Bench -
up to 185X2
then 155X6, 6

Press - up to 110X5, 5

Rows - up to 162.5X3, 3, 3

Chins - BWX5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Intervals - alternated jogging and walking every block from gym to home

Starting to get the feel for the Powerlifting + 5K program from Alex Vida's Hybrid Athlete manual.  I took a nasty fall while on vacation and my shoulder has been bothering me, and so I wasn't sure how this would go.  Between that and having company this weekend, I knew I wouldn't be able to jump fully into the programming, thus "Week 0" of getting acclimated to it as time allows.  Also, I need to read the full manual in depth to understand progression.

Despite the shoulder injury, I had no issues on any of the lifts here.  Everything moved nice and easy.  It's a percentage based program, and I used what I call my "Lifetime" Every Day Max (LEDM) as the basis.  This is a bit different from  Paul Carter's EDM concept where the # is sort of instinctual.  I've always kept track of my lifetime rep maxes from 1-20.  I average those out and take 90% for my LEDM.  For example, on Bench, my best single is 231, and my best set of 20 is 135.  Together with all the other rep records from 1-20, that averages out to a projected max of 225-30, and 90% of that is 205.  So when I need a good starting point for something on bench, I take 205 as my LEDM.

The program calls for 3X10 on pull-ups.  As I've been coming back from the previous shoulder injury that impaired my vertical pulling, 5 reps have been about max, so I just did 5 sets of 4-5 here.

Intervals felt good.  Although it's been since August '15 since I did any running, and my gait felt a bit awkward being out of practice and carrying an extra 20-25 pounds.

No comments: