Thursday, June 12, 2014

Conditioning. Week 1. Sprints

65* yards -
10 sprints; 0.10 - 11 seconds; 30 seconds rest
3 minutes rest
5 sprints; 0.10 - 12 seconds; 30 seconds rest
3 minutes rest
3 sprints; 0.10 - 11 seconds; 30 seconds rest

*was supposed to be 55.  I used a GPS app to measure it in an empty field.  I could tell the app was unreliable, but I went with it even though the distance looked WAY long.  Checked the distance as best I could with google maps this morning, and it's no LESS than 65 yards.  Woof.

Well this was a surprise!  I was supposed to start off this block doing 3 sets of 10 on sprints, waving time and distance every week.  This week I was shooting for sub 0.10 second sprints, but I couldn't make that no matter how hard I tried (see the *note above).  After the 5 sprints, I knew I was in trouble, and after the first set of 10, my midsection was cramping so hard, I knew there was no way I'd do another set of 10, so I called an audible and did 10, 5, 3 instead.  So that gives me a baseline of 3 sets, 18 total sprints.  Next week, I'll try (getting the distance right and) upping the volume to something like 21 or 22.  I'd at least like to be hitting my target 3 sets of 10 by the end of this 5 week block.

Oh, after two weeks off from pressing, and a week off from training at all, these sprints were enough to bring my shoulder pain screaming back.  Great.