Tuesday, July 10, 2012

5/3/1 Full-Body: Cycle 1. Week 2. Squat

BW - 200

Hypers on the GHR - 2 sets of 15

Squat -
BarX10
95X3
135X3
175X3
205X3
225X4

Pendlays -
BarX10
95X5
120X15

Dips - BWX6, 15, 6

Chiro Crunches - 3 sets of 30

Didn't feel like setting up the Reverse Hyper today, and really just wanted to get to the squats, so I only did a few sets of extensions on the GHR.  I did use some form tweaks that Paul Carter discusses in his new book, and I felt them in my back more, and my glutes less.

Squats were good.  Everything felt solid form-wise, and I probably could have gotten a 5th rep on the top-set.  I think my training max is still too high for a starting cycle, though, as I should be contemplating a 10th rep rather than a 5th at this point.  Now that I'm going ATG, the strength out of the very bottom just isn't there for many reps at this weight, BUT it's feeling better all the time.  One thing I found today is that, if I control my descent a bit more then I feel a tad more explosive on the turn-around.  I suspect this is a by-product of increased stability.  Still plan to finish out this cycle to establish a revised max with my new depth, then reset my training max for the next cycle. 

Pendlay rows worked out the way I 'd hoped they would by dropping the top set in favor of repping out a lower weight.  120X15 projects as a new 1RM in the lift.  Felt awesome as well.

Unexpected PR on Dips as well!  15 reps at 200lbs. is a new 1RM.

My lower left abdomen was feeling a bit tingy during squats, so I cut the ab work short by one set.

Really nice session all told, with two PR's!

No comments: