Monday, September 12, 2011

Training - Chin-ups/Push-ups

Brisk Walk - 10 minutes

Chin-ups - BWX6, stacked-grip; BWX5, supinated

Push-Ups - 18, 17, 4, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Dips - BWX8, 6,7

Brisk Walk - 10 minutes

Had to go out to the suburbs for a birthday party today, so I couldn't get to the gym.  At the wife's suggestion, I walked down to the beach and used the little "gym" they put up down there.  They've got an outdoor area with parallel bars, a Pull-Up/Dip/Ab-Raise/Neutral-Grip Push-Up station, a 45-degree back-raise, a decline sit-up bench, and two straight bars (6' and 6'6"). 

The 5 underhand-grip chins felt better than they ever did.  Progress.

I shouldn't have tried to start the push-up ladder with the prescribed 18.  I knew I couldn't ladder down from there, but I tried anyway and probably missed out on more reps from the middle sets as a result of the accompanying burn-out.  As always, it's a fine line between trying to meet/beat the program vs. trying to be productive within my current limits.

Threw some dips in because I miss them, and figured they couldn't hurt future press/push-up days.  In a vacuum, they didn't feel any better than they did before I started the Defranco program, but considering the 65+ push-ups I did right beforehand, I'm content. 

Glad the wife suggested this compromise, but I think I'll still do the program's Week 8 chin-up day this coming Friday.  I believe I'll try starting the push-up ladder at 14 then.

No comments: