Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oh, my! An actual theatre post!

Had the first rehearsal for my new show last night.  I'm basically part of the movement ensemble plus a big monologue and a smattering of additional dialogue, and that's fine because I took the show for the movement work.

I feel like I'm in a good spot for a show like this.  The last time I was involved in this kind of work, I had just gotten in the best shape of my life.  That was back in 2001/2 when I had just shaped up to play the God of frickin' Love in a production back in Portland.  While we were striking that show, I ran into some folks that suggested I go audition for this other show.  I got cast, and I really enjoyed that work even though I wasn't trained for it, and I must have done well enough as that company made some overtures of membership when we were finishing up.

So here I am, having gotten in the best shape of my 30's, and I find myself as a member of my 2nd ever movement-ensemble.  Last night was basically 2+ hours of non-stop moving.  High and low, fast and slow, I sweat plenty, but was never sucking air.  So the conditioning is holding up.

The work itself seems promising so far.  A lot of emotional availability being generated by the movement direction.  And everyone seems committed.  At this point, I'm pretty optimistic about the show and my place in it.

No comments: