Thursday, June 7, 2018

Maintenance / Rehab Block. Week 2. Day 2.

BW - 224

Press - 137.5X5, 5, 5

Pull-Ups - BWX5, 3

Pull-Downs (supinated) - X10, 10, 10 (straight-weight; +5 "lbs." from last time)

Hammer Curls - 35sX10, 8

Had an MRI on my hips today and dropped the file off with my P.T.  Will see him on Friday to get the scoop.

Press felt really good today.  Even though this is 8 lbs. off my best 3X5, this still surprised me.  This lift had felt like shit for a while.  We'll see how it goes.  My current theory is a combination of factors went into this:  1) Not Squatting and Deadlifting for the last week has reduced overall fatigue, 2a) Pulling back on Bench and Press weights AND volume has also reduced overall fatigue, and 2b) has allowed for a little bit of "peaking."  Basically, I'm doing a little less and so am not as sore and tired, and so my lifts may be temporarily spiking.  Again, just a theory for now.

Also, Pull-Ups blasted off today.  Last session (which was my first time doing pronated pull-ups in 6 YEARS), they were really rough out of the gate, and getting 3 was a grind.  I grabbed the bar today expecting only 3-4.  3 was smooth, then 4 went up pretty well, and then I did a slow but certain 5th.  Felt so good, I was tempted to get some extra sets/reps, but I stuck to the plan and just increased by 1 rep over last session.  I expect this quick improvement is mostly neurological as I re-familiarize myself with the movement.

Pull-Downs and Hammer Curls were fine.  Discomfort in my left hand is still present even in the pronated pull-down.  Also hoping this will benefit from the break from DL.

No comments: