Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Novice LP. Session 57 (Greyskull Squats and Press)

BW - 228

Bench -
227.5X5
205X5, 5

Squat -
370X5
330X5, 8

Chin-Ups - BWX25 total reps (lost track of individual sets)

Phone died so no video of this session.

My sleep and general recovery were a mess heading into this session, so I was kind of dreading it.  Things went pretty well, though.

227.5X5 is a Rep PR on Bench.  5th rep was absolutely RPE 10.  Really wasn't sure if it was going to lock-out.  Hopefully my recovery can be in better shape next week when I take a run at 230.

370X5 is a Rep PR on Squats.  Squats just felt really good today.  I felt like the bar was staying "over my heels" on every rep, and I had a lot of pop coming out of the hole.

This was my first time experimenting with AMRAP on the 2nd back-off set.  I decided to move back into back-off sets after the last squat workout where I ended up cutting the 2nd set across at 4 reps.  But I didn't want to abandon the AMRAP set, so I'm doing a sort of mash-up of Advanced Novice/Greyskull LP here.  I'm well aware that there's risk of bastardizing tested programs, and that mash-ups often result in worse results than choosing one method or another.  However, the AMRAP sets seemed to be yielding results.  I will keep a close eye on this as I move forward.  I'm not sure if the 1st set of 5 is necessary, or if it would be better to do a single, AMRAP back off-set.  My suspicion is that this will yield more ultimate volume, even if it possibly costs me a rep or two on the AMRAP.

Anyway, despite feeling like crap all day, this was a good session.

No comments: