Friday, June 1, 2012

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 2. Press

Defranco Shoulder Mobility

Press -
BarX10X2
65X3
85X3
95X3
110X7

DB Rows -
45sX15
50sX10
55sX25

Chin-ups - BW(205)X5 stupid

Leg Curls - 5 sets of 15

Farmers Carries - 18 minutes
Empty Handles (120)X1
160X1
200X1X9

20 minutes brisk walking

My right shoulder has been feeling a bit tweaked lately, and I suspect it's from the rapid sledge hammer swings.  I took an extra warm-up set with the empty bar on pressing, and it felt fine on the 2nd set.  This was a really great Press session actually.  110X7 ties a Rep PR, and I probably could have gotten 1 more, but I didn't want to push to the limit because it's only the 2nd press day of the cycle, and I was also cognizant of the shoulder issue.  Still, it was nice to see that if I get up for it, I can still push up towards my best projected 1RM in this lift.  I was worried after my incline session last week.


Rep PR and projected 1RM increase on the Kroc Rows.  25 reps is my target, so next week I'll move up to the 60 lb. DBs.  Was pretty jazzed about this...

...then I let that self-satisfaction lead me to attempt my first chin-ups in a while.  In my head I was all "I just set a row PR, and I know I'm leaner than I have been.  Maybe I can hit a chin PR as well!"  Stupid.  5 reps at  BW of 205 is decidedly NOT a PR, and in fact ranks as my worst chin up performance of 2012.  Just dumb to try this after hitting a PR on rows.

I punished myself by pushing the weight up on leg curls, and really straining to get 15 reps on my last two sets.  Had trouble walking afterwards.

But not so much trouble that I couldn't carry 200 lbs. for almost twice as many trips as last week with the Farmer's Handles.  I was pushing up against my rehearsal schedule and wasn't able to work back down through lower weights like last week, but 9 trips with 200 was my limit with that weight.  The handles were slipping out of my grip at the end of the last trip.

The buses were all backed up, so I made up for not being able to finish my Farmer's session, with a brisk 20+ minute walk to the rehearsal hall.  All in all, a pretty good session.

No comments: