Monday, June 4, 2012

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 3. Pause Squats

Defranco Hip Mobility

Pause Squats -
BarX5X2
105X3
155X3
185X3
210X3
235X2

Front Squat -
145X3
145X3
145XFailX2

RDL -
95X10
185X5
205X5
225X5

Back Extensions - 3 sets of 15

Here we go again.  Pause Squats went pretty well.  I held all my warm-up sets for several seconds in the hole, and then paused all my work sets normally.  235X2 is an all-around PR for the movement.  If I'm feeling okay next week (more on this in a sec), I will drop my training max per Paul Carter's suggestion, and try to get a few more reps on my top sets in the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Front Squats on this cycle were only intended to be medium-heavyish, and a way to get more volume work on my quads.  145 is NOT a heavy weight for me on front squats in this rep range.  On the 3rd set, I fucked up my low back somehow.  This feels like the same fucking strain as last July.  I think it's from some combination of getting too far forward in the bottom and my hips tucking under at the bottom as well.  You know the weight isn't too heavy because after I dropped it, I cleaned it back to my fucking shoulders so I could set it back on the stands.  I tried to front squat it again, but it still hurt at the bottom so I stopped.  Fuck, fuck me.

No problem setting a new PR on RDLs, though.  Outside of loading and unloading the bar with my fucked up back that is.

I hopped on the GHR and did some back extensions to finish up.  Just trying to get a shit ton of blood into the strained area.

Went home and foam rolled and iced the rest of the day away before rehearsal.  I'm sure the rest of my week will just be great having to deal with this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, considering you have your own blog, how about you stop hijacking all the comments on Paul Carter's? You must have a tremendous bit to say if you can't get it all out here, so get a dog or a girlfriend. Really, nobody pays much attention to your rambling comments on his.

Nealstar said...

Thanks for the feedback, Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Aw, you didn't comment *that* much on LRB.........