Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend Training

Friday:
Jump Squats - bodyweight; 10 sets of 3

Lunges - bodyweight; 10 sets of 3 each leg

Band RDLs - doubled band under feet; 3 sets of 20

Incline Sprints - 30 yards; 20 minutes

Saturday:
Push-up Progression -
BWX10
Doubled-BandX5
"Reverse Grip"X15
Doubled-BandX6
BWX20
super-set with
Band Pull-Aparts - 5 sets; 165 total reps

Band Medley -
Front Raises; Cross-overs, Upright Rows, Reverse Curls AMRAP

Working around my low-back strain (almost healed), and my heavy rehearsal and performance schedule.  I think I'm good to get back in the gym for at least an upper-body dominant session, but I'm not rushing because I need to be 100% when my new show opens in 2 weeks.  So I'm adhering very closely to the shake diet and getting in a lot of light band work and some conditioning to help make sure I don't erase my gains while I'm out of the gym.


Jump squats were just kind of fucking around as a warm-up.  Haven't done single-leg work in a long while, and the lunges were more challenging than I expected.  I intended to do 5 sets of 20, but clearly I need to work back into this kind of thing.  I've been toying with these doubled-band RDL's and they seem like a fine way to get some hamstring work in at home as they are mildly sore for a day or two afterwards.

On the sprints, I just went to the steepest incline near my place, and ran up and walked back until I was out of gas.  I didn't even keep track of how many sprints I did, and I didn't rush back to start, but didn't stand around at the bottom before going again either.

Wanted to try to progress up to a "hard" push-up variation.  I thought the reverse grips would be harder than the doubled-band, but that turned out not to be the case.  Next time I'll flip it a bit so that it goes BW, Reverse Grip, Doubled-Band to failure, then BW to failure.  Something like that.  Thinking about it like working up to a heavy set and then backing off, Paul Carter style.  Super-set all the sets with AMRAP pull-aparts.

Finished up with a circuit of "push-up assistance" work, lol.

If I was in the gym, I wouldn't have gone as "hard" with all this band work, because I was sore from some of this stuff, but since I don't need to be recovered for heavy lifts right now, I got after it a lot more on this stuff.

No comments: