Monday, November 28, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 2. Week 1. Pressing

Defranco's Simple-6

Press -
BarX10
65X6
80X5
90X5
100X7

EZ BB Overhead Extensions - 55X12, 65X8, 8, 7, 8

T-Bar Rows - 45X12, 60X10, 65X9

Push-Ups - BWX14, 13, 12, 10 (49 total)

Hammer and Tire - 4 sets of 50 swings (switching grip after 25); 10 minutes

Presses felt pretty good.  Still focusing on Squats and Bench, so not really planning on going for lots of PR's with these.  Still form is feeling pretty good.


Overhead extensions are MUCH more comfortable with the full size EZ bar.  I'm wondering if it's bad form for me to be doing these at the same station where I do my heavy presses.  I ended up using one of the power racks this session, and it occured to me that this might be the same as doing curls in the rack.  Kind of a pain in the ass to move these elsewhere, but maybe I will or just use the shorter bars.  Dunno.

Per Paul Carter's advice, I 've taken the last three upper-body sessions off from chins.  He recommended doing pull-downs or rows on the final no-chin session.  I did T-Bars to assure myself that I still suck at them, and need to remember to program them in the future.

God but Push-Ups suck after a lot of heavy shoulder and tricep work.  The first set of the ladder felt awesome, but things went in the toilet pretty quickly, and when I failed to complete my 11 rep set, I bailed for the next thing.

Conversely I had a great session with the hammer.  Most volume I've ever gotten, and it took up almost a full 10 minutes.  I'll try to get 5 sets of 20 in 10 minutes next time.

No comments: