Tuesday, November 1, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 1. Bench

Defranco's Simple-6

BB Bench-
BarX10
95X5
115X5
130X5
145X7
super-set with
Chin-ups - BWX5X5

Chin-ups - BWX5X5
supers-set with
Dips - BWX10, 10, 5, 5, 5

One-arm DB Rows - 65X15, 10, 12
super-set with
Dips - BWX6, 9

Shit session.  Bad decision making on top of what was probably gonna be a -10% day anyway.

The bench was fine, I guess.  I didn't come in planning on going for extra reps on the top set.  I would have needed 10 for  PR, but I'm trying to save my gas for Squat day.  I was feeling good about them and decided to split the difference and go for 7.  Honestly, I don't know if I could have gotten more.  I realized on the first two work-sets that I was bouncing the bar off my chest a lot.  So on the last set I brought it down a little slower and with more control.  Naturally this made everything harder, but correct.
Chins were all fine.  Another 10 sets of 5, so next upper-body day I'm gonna switch to 9 sets of 6.

I must have let my right elbow drift out on the first couple of sets of dips, because my right shoulder was killing me after that (this happens to me periodically).  I managed to get 50 total BW Dips on the day, but my shoulder still f-ing hurts today.  The interesting thing is that my repping strength seemed to bottom out and then come back on these in the session.  I think in trying to protect my shoulder I just got the form more dialed-in.  I've got to remember to keep my head on straight when I do these.

Also fucked myself up on one-arm rows.  I want to switch to the no-support T-Bar Rows, but I didn't want to risk my back with them until my show closes.  Well guess what?  I decided to do one-arms instead today since I was in that part of the gym doing chins and dips, and I fucked up my back doing these.  The bench I was using is unusually high and I think I was allowing my low-back to bend and twist a lot more than normal.  The right side of my low-back is killing me today.  I popped two ibuprofen this morning, and I almost never take painkillers, especially for normal work-out aches.

I was all sore and fucked-up feeling at this point, and went home totally forgetting to get in some face-pulls, which sucks because my shoulder may have felt better today if I'd done them.  Just gonna put this all behind me.

No comments: