Monday, November 14, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 3. Pressing

Defranco's Simple-6

DB Press - 15sX16

Press -
BarX8
65X5
85X5
100X3
120X1
110X5
super-set with
Chin-ups - BWX7,7,7,6,7,7

Chin-ups - BWX7, 5, 3
super-set with
BB Overhead Extensions - 55X10, 12, 8, 8, EZ-Curl BB (45lb.)X16

Wide-grip Lat-pulldowns - 90X10X3
super-set with
DB Shoulder Cleans - 15sX13, 10sX12, 8

More bad math.  I mistakenly loaded 120 instead of 110 for my last work-set, and couldn't get more than 1 even with double lay-back.  Afterwards, I realized my mistake, dropped back down to the correct weight and got a 5 Rep PR!  That's a 5 Rep PR in each of my last four work-outs.  Cool.  I knew tracking my actual rep PRs was going to be motivating.

First session of chins with 7 reps per set.  Really rough because my abs were still sore from DL and Squat day.  I tried focusing on keeping my heels up near my butt so that my abdomen wouldn't be able to contract as hard and that helped a little.  Still, it's hard to gauge from this session where my chin strength is at.  Taken at face-value, I would have to assume I will be working on 7 rep sets into the next cycle.  Hopefully not.

I was having a hell of time getting a comfortable grip on the overhead extensions.  Narrower and I can use more weight, wider and my wrists feel better.  I finally had a light-bulb moment and remembered that there is a full size, 45lb. EZ bar in the gym.  I found that and kicked out an easy 16 reps with just the bar, and it felt great.  I'll have to remember to grab that next time.  It compromises the efficiency of doing the whole work-out with one set-up, but I don't want my fucking wrists to hurt.

Because the chins were such a struggle with my sore abdomen, I decided to do some lat pull-downs to supplement them.  I tried to focus on taking my biceps out of the movement, and my lats are appropriately achy today.  We'll see if that translates to my next chin session.

Because of the pull-downs and having done incline sprints the day before, I decided to forgo push-ups and/or hammer & tire in favor of super-setting in some more DB cleans like last time.  Shoulders can never be too healthy!

No comments: