Monday, November 14, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 2. Squats

Defranco's Agile-8

Squats -
BarX10
95X5
135X3
195X3
210X5

BB Front Split Squats - 45X10, 55X10X2

BB Front Squats - 85X10X3

Defranco Core CircuitX2
Toe TouchesX20, BicycleX30, Side-PlankX30sec. each side

200 yard incline sprints - 4 sprints/10 minutes

I was bad at math all weekend.  I was supposed to go 165, 195, 210 on my work-sets for the Squat.  I did the math wrong and jumped straight from my last warm-up of 135 to 195.  I was so freaked out when I walked the weight out, I though there was no way I'd make the next jump!  Actually an okay session, as I just went ahead and went to the final set and got a 5 Rep PR for myself.

 I think I'm getting my step-out form cleaned up on the split squats, but now I've got a problem of my back foot sliding back during the set.  Might start having to lick my hand and wipe it on my shoe basket-ball player style.  Nasty.  I thought I was going to do 5 sets each on assistance today, but these were burning me out so I went with 3 sets each.  It's cool, I probably needed the juice for the end of this session.

Front Squats were okay.  However, I think the weight might be so light on these and the splits that I'm unconsciously pushing out with my triceps a bit instead of letting the weight rest completely on my shoulders.  I say this because I was having soreness/tenderness on the inside of my elbow, above the joint where the triceps insert.  I think I need to focus on keeping my elbows up.  Lot of goddamn form considerations with these front grips.

Got through the Core circuit, but was glad that it wasn't a 3X.  My abs are still pissed because of the hanging leg-raise super-sets I did on DL day.  They were still pissed the session after this, so I don't know how it's gonna go on Wednesday when I DL/Ab-raise again.

There aren't really any proper hills for hill sprints in my area, however the gym is at the crest of a long, inclined section of street.  I decided to try 100 yard sprints, but I screwed up trying to walk-out the distance (it's been 15 years since I actually stood on a football field, so I couldn't eye-ball the distance for shit), and it ended up being closer to 200 when I checked it on google maps.  Anyway, I set my watch for 10 minutes and got 4 sprint-ups/walk-downs in about 9 minutes and said "done."  My legs are killing me two days later, so mission accomplished.  I hope to always be able to end squat sessions with these, or get them in the very next day.  I've figured where 100 yards are now, so I'll set a new 10 minute baseline next time, and progress from there waving total time and sprints for time.

No comments: