Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Greyskull LP. Session 15

BW - 230

Press - 140X5, 5, 7

Chin-Ups (strict) - BWX5, 5, 5

Squats - 345X5, 5, 5

Coming back from a sporadic couple of weeks of training capped by a trip to New Orleans, I decided to pull back on most of my lifts.  Backed Press and Squat up by two weeks, resetting the BW movements to be as strict as possible, and repeating the previous Deadlift weight.

140X7 is a Rep PR on Press.  Definitely didn't expect that on the first day back.  On the last few reps, I focused in on sort of "locking" my hips in place as the bar clears my head.  Kind of creating a more stable pillar to finish the press out after the initial movement to get the bar from chest to the forehead.

For Chins, I'm looking now for full elbow extension, and a breathing pause at the bottom of each rep, and chin over the bar at the top.  Reset to 3X5 at BW.  I was nervous I wouldn't get them all, but I did.  I've also built a calculator that will allow me to add ~2.5 to the TOTAL weight lifted after each time I get all 3X5.  Basically I just plug in my body weight for that day, and it will tell me how much weight to add.  I expect this to look a bit silly the first few times as I'll have a dip belt with a 2.5 hanging off of it.  Third set shown.

After everything, I'm very happy with 3X5 on squats.  I would have needed 8 for a Rep PR here, and that was unrealistic.  Although this final set was probably RPE 8.5.  I focused on letting the bar settle "back" on my shoulders after the breath.  I'd noticed sometimes I would take the deep breath and immediately descend, and the bar was rolling forwards a bit.  This seemed to help with that.  Also  continued to focus on a very controlled descent to make sure the bar path stays good.  Again, felt very good about the results here.  Keeping these points in mind for next week, I'm optimistic I'll feel good about getting some more reps in.

No comments: