Monday, February 20, 2012

UB: Strong Week 6. Press

Defranco Shoulder Mobility

Machine Lateral Neck Flexion - 30X20X2, 20X20

DB Military Press - 15sX20, 10sX20

Press -
BarX5
BarX5
95X5
110X5
125X2 (fail on 3)

BB Overhead Extensions - 65X8X2, 45X15, 10

Rope Push-downs - X10, 20, 15

Timed mile - 2:15, 6:57, 9:53, 12:58

Raised the weight on neck machine, but thought I might be cheating a little bit, so dropped it back down for the last set.

I did some light DB presses to warm-up through a fuller range of motion.  Thought I might need it.

For the up-sets on the Press, I wanted to try and take the lessons I've learned on the other lifts where I've been backing off on the up-sets ahead of a PR attempt.  So I did a couple of sets with the empty bar and focused on drive and snap at the top, then two medium weight sets.  Both of these felt heavy, and I started to get a bad feeling because my top sets on the Press have been feeling heavy for a couple of months.  Sure enough, I couldn't get even 3 reps with 125.  3 times I've missed lifts, once on bench, and twice now on the press.  I was pretty damned pissed.  If I'd been thinking clearer, I would have composed myself, and taken 125 for 3 singles to at least get more time under that weight.  I'll try to remember that next time I fail a lift.

Because I theorize that dropping overhead triceps work has contributed to the poor showing in the Press lately, I angrily went and kicked out 4 sets of those, and then followed it up with some high-rep push-downs to punish my triceps for not being good enough.

Later that afternoon, my wife and I did a mile together on the new route she chose.  We stopped to walk after every 1/4 mile, and I made mental note of the time at each of those points, so I'll be able to make sure we're on pace to beat those markers on future runs.

No comments: