Monday, February 6, 2012

UB: Strong Week 3. Squat

Defranco Mobility

Standing Calf Raises - 285X15, 345X15, 365X15

Squats -
BarX5
135X5
155X5
185X5
205X5
225X5

Front Squats - 125X10, 5

RDL - 155X12, 8

Because I'm getting close to the whole stack on the calf raises, but it's also been getting hard on the top reps, I decided to move up the weight on the first sets and keep the top set at the same weight as the previous session.  So more total weight lifted, but no "PR."

Squats felt pretty smooth once I got to the top sets.  Giving myself plenty of rest between those last sets now.  225X5 is just shy of my previous 5RM, although my 5RM projects to 250.

I've read a few articles recomending the conventional front squat grip over the cross-grip, and advocating using straps to approximate it if you don't have good wrist mobility.  Front grip hurts my wrists, so I've been using cross-grip.  I tried using the straps for the front grip today and it was a disaster.  The bar kept moving around, and all my focus was on that so I don't know if I could have done more reps at this weight.  Going back to cross-grip.

Great RDL session.  As is apparent by the 2nd set, I still need to add more weight.  Next time, I'll just throw 185 on and we'll see what happens.

No core or conditioning today.  Saved it for the next session which was the following day.

No comments: