Monday, January 23, 2012

UB: Strong Week 1. Squat

Defranco Mobility Work

Standing Calf Raises - 195, 225, 265X15

Squat -
135X5
145X5
175X5
185X5
205X5

Front Squats - 115X12, 6

RDL - 115X12, 135X8

Hammer and Tire - 10 minutes.  4 rounds of 20 swings "per arm."

Little bit more on the calf raises.  I expect to get up to the full stack by the end of this 6 weeks.

Squats started off feeling wonky, but I started pakcing my neck harder and everything felt better by the end of the sets.

Big PR in the Front Squat lets me know I wasn't pushing these as hard as I might have during 531.  Little bit of a dilemma here, as Carter calls for going to failure on these "50%" sets, but I don't want to tie up a power rack doing Fronts with less than a plate per side.  I went to the last rep I KNEW I was going to get on both sets.

Likewise, I matched my Ballys-best in the RDL.  Ready to go to a plate per side at least with this going forward.  I was kind of surprised that I can go heavier in the RDL than the front squat.  Don't know if that's normal, or just me or what.  Maybe someday down the road I'll see about chasing that down a little bit and see if I can get them even.  That kind of monkeying around is probably a long way off.

Set the timer for 10 minutes, gave myself 45 second breaks, and just went all out swinging the hammer.  Good session.  I originally intended to push the prowler, but I forgot to pack my track shoes, and pushing in my Chucks kind of stinks.  It's good to keep the upper body conditioning rotated in for this cycle anyhow, since it will be a big part of the next cycle.

No comments: