Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Training: High Bars

BW - 208

High Bar Squats -
BarX10 (paused)
95X5 (paused)
135X5
185X3
225X2
205X10, 8, 6

Hack Squats - 1ppsX10, 10, 10

First day back in the gym after a two week vacation.  Just gonna ease myself back into things with a couple movements a day.  My schedule is about to get fraught, which will limit my training opportunities, however I didn't want to kill myself coming out of the vacation gate just because of that.  I'll probably just cruise for a couple of weeks, and maybe try out Paul Carter's short peaking cycle as a twice a week program when my schedule gets tight.  As a way of coming out the other side with my strength at my recent baseline.

Anyway, High Bars were solid.  205X10 is a Rep PR, and it's possible I could have gone for an all-around PR of 13 reps on the 1st set, but, again, not trying to kill myself out of the gate.

On the Hacks, I kept my feet close together and as far back as I could, and had my knees going straight forward to try and get maximum quad activation.  My heel was coming off the plate slightly at the very bottom.  This is such a strange movement.  It doesn't feel heavy, but I still have to push hard coming out of the hole, and it's still slow to get back to the top.  Interesting.

2 comments:

John said...

Wow- that was a fast two weeks. How was your trip?

Nealstar said...

It was good. We went to Vietnam and it was our first time in Asia. Beautiful country, friendly people, amazing food.