Friday, March 20, 2015

Training: Deadlift

BW - 208

Deficit SLDL (on a plate) -
135X5
185X4, 4
225X3, 3
245X3, 3
265X2, 3
245X4
225X4
185X10, 10

Chest-Supported T-Bar Row -
45X5
90X9, 7, 6
70X9

Why not.  I originally planned to hammer RDLs for a couple weeks.  However, I kept thinking about this weird (to me) concept of the Stiff-Leg Deadlift that's been floating around.  Since I was a teenager, I always thought an stiff-leg DL was done by keeping the legs locked and perpendicular to the ground, and bending only at the waist so that the bar descends in an angle AWAY from the legs as it moves to the floor.  Basically a movement for the erectors.  And if you search for it on the 'net, that's still a pretty common definition.

For a few years now though, I've been seeing Paul Carter do what he calls a deficit stiff-leg.  To me it looked like an RDL that just started off the floor.  That is, the knees locked but slightly bent, and the butt moving backwards and forwards as the bar goes up and down basically staying in contact with the legs through the movement.

I did find an piece by Bret Contreras where he describes the SLDL this way, but it still just seemed like an RDL with a different starting position.

I decided on this day to just break down and try it.  I was very cautious however about making sure my low back didn't round at the bottom.  Keeping the back flat and NOT bending the knees in order to drop the bar those last few inches is really tough, and so these reps were slow and not at all explosive.  I don't know.  My hamstrings are sore today, so I'll try it again next week.  Still feels a lot like an RDL, though.

No comments: