Thursday, October 27, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 1. Pressing

Defranco's Simple-6

Press -
45X10
65X5
75X5
85X5
100X10
super-set with
Chin-ups - BWX5X5

Chin-ups - BWX5X5 (50 total reps for the day)
super-set with
BB Overhead extensions - BarX10X5

Push-ups Ladder - 13 to 1

Hammer and Tire - 2 sets of 25 swings "each arm"

100X10 is a PR for me.  Yay!  I think next week I may just try to get the prescribed 3 reps plus one or two and save my rep out attempt for bench.  I'm really trying to take the "pick your battles" mantra to heart on this program.  I just had a couple of folks on a message board I'd been frequenting for BLAB discussion bemoan that I'd decided to go with 5/3/1 because that community had a bad experience with it.  Based on what I've been reading on the T-Nation forums, I'm hoping some of that may be due to some of the apparent common mistakes people make on the program: going all out on all final sets all the time, not starting light enough, starting light but adding more weight between cycles than the program calls for, going crazy with assistance volume, and constantly over-hauling the program rather than plugging away.


I hit the chin-ups exactly where I wanted without having to do more than 10 sets to get my 50 even though the latter sets are harder as there's less rest-time in the assistance portion of the workout.  My progression plan for chins is to work 10X5 to 9X6, 8X7, 7X8, 6X9, 5X10 then work up to 5X12 then start loading the lift with weight.  I think I'll get one more upper body session in to confirm I can get the 10X5, and then I'll switch to the 9X6.  Slow and steady, but I see no reason to wait for a new 5/3/1 cycle to make these changes if the strength is consistently there for me.

I changed the extensions from 3X10 to 5X10, because in reexamining the program I realized that Wendler was basically doing 5X with all the assistance stuff.  Don't know how I missed that before.  After the first couple of sets, I was tempted to load the bar here, but the last couple of sets were approaching failure so I think I made the right choice.  The right thing to do would probably be to load just 5-10 lbs. on next time, but damn.  There were guys next to me doing DLs with 5-6 plates on each side tonight (I think M,W,St. are the days the really strong guys are in the gym), and it's hard to talk myself into putting one 2.5lb. plate on each side of the bar with that happening.  I'm just trying to imagine it's a DB.  I wouldn't have any mental anguish about going from a 45 to a 50lb. DB for overhead extensions, so why get worked up because it's a barbell?  I'll look tiny and weak next to these guys no matter what I do anyway.  Gotta do my own thing, and if I'm getting stronger that's all that matters.  Nice pep talk, self.

Earlier I mentioned the apparent dangers of over-hauling the program too often, just a note that although I am not doing the Boring But Big template, I am always keeping it in the back of my mind as an option.  I'm just starting this program, and there's no guarantee I've made the best assistance choices for myself that I could have.  For instance, here on pressing day I'm keeping the option to do BBB with the main lift or DB Presses if the overhead extensions don't seem to be getting it done on their own.

I think I picked the right number to re-start the push-up ladder with.  I got the 13, but then needed a full 60 seconds between then next few sets.  I also don't know if this makes more sense to be on Bench day or not.  I've put it here because Defranco did NOT put it on Bench day in BLAB, but we'll see.  These took a lot out of me, and my lower back started feeling warm and tingly so I cut the hammer and tire short after two rounds.

No comments: