Saturday, October 22, 2011

5/3/1 Log: Cycle 1. Week 0. Bench

Defranco's Simple-6

BB Bench-
45X10
75X5
95X5
110X3
130X3
145X3
super-set with
Chin-ups - BWX5X5

Chin-ups - BWX5X3
super-set with
Dips - BWX10, 10, 6

T-Bar Rows - 1 PlateX12X3
super-set with
Chin-ups - BWX4, 6 (50 total reps of chin-ups on the day)

Face-Pulls - 60X20, 15, 40X20

Hammer and Tire - 3 rounds of 50 (25 "each arm")

It's funny.  This is called Bench Day, but it kind of looks more like Back Day, doesn't it?  I'd already incorporated super-sets of chins to 50 total reps on Press Day, but I was reading 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, and in that manual he advocates doing this on both Press and Bench days.  I've already invested so much time and effort into building my chins, I thought I would go ahead and incorporate that.  I guess I could have dropped the T-Bar Rows, but I suck at them and want to get better.  So this is now Bench and Back Day, I guess.

Speaking of the Bench, the work sets felt kind of heavy.  I'm not stressing it, though.  It's been 3 weeks since I set my max.  We'll just ease on back in as the program calls for.  Next week I'll do these same weights again, but 5 reps each on the work-sets.  Makes me glad I came up with the Week 0 idea.


My arms gave out on the 3rd Dip set.  Again, ease back into a movement I haven't done in a while.  I'm confident that before long I will be able to load this lift.

Did I mention I suck at T-Bar rows.  I used the chest-supported kind today, but I'm thinking after my show closes I want to go the free-standing version.  Once I exhale, the chest support makes it difficult to take another deep breath, and it throws off my concentration.  Still, due to the lifts I do in my show, I want to give my lower-back a bit of a break when possible.

5/3/1 for Powerlifting had another unexpected wrinkle I seriously considered today.  Wendler suddenly advocates bicep curls!  I thought about a trip to the gun show, but decided to do face-pulls instead.  I want to try and insure the health of my shoulder.  Also these should contribute to my chins and rows, and they indirectly work the biceps a bit as well.  Lots of indirect bicep work today, actually.  Bench, Back and Indirect Bicep Day.  Not very catchy.

I also decided there's no reason not to do Hammer and Tire on both Pressing Days.  I jumped to 25 reps per grip today, and I was done after the 3rd set.  I think I should look to progress week to week, rather than session to session.  For the true Week 1 cycle, I'll stick to the three rounds of 50 that I did here.  Then on Week 2 I'll go to four rounds of 20, etc.  Slow and steady.

No comments: